Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Saltillo - Ganglion (FLAC)


I didn't really appreciate trip-hop until very recently, after a fellow blogger here at animationmusicvolume posted Portishead's Third. After having my mind blown, I went back and listened to all the trip-hop albums that I had neglected over the years. Massive Attack, Thievery Corporation, and all the giants of the genre now became more relevant to my taste than ever before. So you can imagine the fascination that ensued when I revisited this masterpiece.

Saltillo's Ganglion is full of unique and heavy beats, but it yet retains the downtempo feel that I've come to know and love in electronic music, so it's like a meeting point between the mellow Boards of Canada-esque mellowness and the twisting melodies that many trip-hop artists make use of. The album's opener, "A Necessary End" starts with a somber stringed instrument that hits me like a truck. The inevitable beat and samples start to tug at you like some sort of anxiousness and the song manipulates your feelings with thought-provoking quotes and samples, and it almost feels dramatic.

The entire album plays with your emotions, and is truly a wonderful listening experience. This is one LP that deserves more attention.

Download in V0 here and in FLAC here.
Buy it here.

1 comment:

  1. This is really good, will hopefully have a flac upload before tonight

    ReplyDelete