Friday, December 24, 2010

California Wives - Affair EP (320)


Well. I wasn't expecting this.

I initially heard this band because I saw that they were opening for The Helio Sequence at a show I'm going to in January. Needless to say, my love for The Helio Sequence impelled me to check out the opening bands, and what I found was pretty awesome.

California Wives are a band that is still in the process of publicizing their music, and I thought it would be nice to contribute to that. Their music is what could best be described as shoegaze done by a pop band. They don't have the thin and foggy sound that similar bands like Wild Nothing have, but they seem to have absolutely no apprehensions about cranking their phase shifters to 11. The melodies that their multiple vocalists spin over the hazy guitars are catchy but leave a sizable distance between themselves and the listeners. The Affair EP, which is the most representative selection of their songs available, is really worth the short 21 minutes it will take to listen to it.

You can acquire it here and purchase it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment