Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Spiritualized - Laser Guided Melodies (FLAC)


Way back when I first started developing a real palette for music, Spiritualized was one of the first groups that I was genuinely interested in exploring. Jason Pierce's music is attention-grabbing when it needs to be and mind-numbing when it doesn't; it's one of the perfect albums to listen to for anyone just beginning to appreciate lesser known but still culturally celebrated music.

Laser Guided Melodies is Spiritualized's first release following the official breakup of Spacemen 3, and in it Pierce demonstrates once again the enormous talent that he brought to Spacemen 3 and the influence that he continues to exert on the psychedelic music scene. Each song is unique and unconventional in it's own way, and even though Laser Guided Melodies is perfectly entry-level, I still find myself going back to it not only to experience the nostalgia that I associate with it but to experience the new and vivid sensations that it brings with each listen.

A favorite song of mine is 200 Bars, mostly because of the mind-boggling that I went through the first time I listened to it. The way that each instrument layers itself over the others and is introduced seamlessly, in such an organized manner (maybe similar to Ravel's Boléro), is so impressive that I really had no other words to say than, "Oh my fucking God." This was before everything dropped out and Kate Radley's angelic voice plainly counted, "200," at which point I exclaimed, "Oh my FUCKING GOD!"

Shine a light on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment