Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Uffie - Sex Dreams and Denim Jeans (V0)


I am going to be perfectly honest with you. Going into this album, I expected to take off my headphones at the end completely disappointed and bitter, with knew assurance that pop was a lost genre. Frankly, Uffie being called the "original Ke$ha" didn't excite me in the least, and I pressed play with my cheek already propped up on my palm, bracing for cringe-worthy, vain lyrics, auto-tune (yawn) and the catchy beats that are typical of pop music. Bad stuff.

And what I got was cringe-worthy, vain lyrics, auto-tune, and catchy beats. On Sex Dreams and Denim Jeans, Uffie talks about her lack of motivation, talent and ability to care. She also mentions how it's all about her, how lucky she is to have made it in the music business because of how untalented she is, and her haters. I really would not like to get into how much I abhor when this is mentioned in music in any form, but let me tell you, it's a very large amount.

But, looking beyond my malice for modern pop and its repetitive nature, I came to enjoy this album. Not like a guilty-pleasure,-I'll-listen-to-it-if-it's-on-but-I-will-NOT-scrobble-this-in-case-my-indie-cred-takes-a-blow typed thing. No really. I really liked it. It's fun, it talks about love and loss and being a slut, cars and being cooler than thou, and there's even a little section about how good crackers are in Art of Uff. It's mindless, it's narcissistic, it's... well, it's pop. The beats are actually good, though. Catchy, but still obtaining an air of that professional touch.

This all being said, Ke$ha's got nothing on Uffie.

Favorite songs: Pop The Glock, Art of Uff, MCs Can Kiss, Difficult, Neuneu

My Rating: 8.4/10

Download.

No comments:

Post a Comment