Monday, September 27, 2010

De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising (V0)


With my mom being a huge hip-hop fan, I've been exposed to many sides of the genre, from Rakim to NWA to The Roots to Lil Wayne. Until the point at which I had the extreme pleasure of hearing 3 Feet High and Rising, I didn't think that rap could be well... dorky. Dorky, awkward, innocent and fun. I didn't think of hip-hop as something that could base their skits around a nonsensical game show, or use a sample of I Can't Go For That by Hall & Oates to oppose drug dealers. I was unaware that it was even allowed of rap artists to speak about meeting talking animals that give them directions. Everything on this album is so happy and youthful, it does nothing but satisfy me when I want something that has a beat but can also make me smile.

Favorite songs: Can U Keep a Secret, Jenifa Taught Me (Derwin's Revenge), Transmitting Live From Mars, Eye Know, Tread Water, Say No Go

My Rating: 9.4/10

I heard shovin' is worse than pushin' but I'd rather know a shover than a pusher cause a pusher's a jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment