Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Funeral Party - Funeral Party (V0)


This year has been a fine year for music. Some of my favorite albums in my entire music collection are from this year, and surprisingly I can say that I actually am having to be selective in making my "best albums of 2010" list. Big Echo, Wild Nothing, Nolens Volens, Ruth, and even the new Have a Nice Life EP were all spectacular in my eyes, so there's no complaints on this end.

I wasn't sure if it was just a phase or an accidental obsession, but there has been one album so far this year that has gone from being unknown to me to being my new musical infatuation in less than 2 months. That would be Funeral Party's self-titled, a new dance-punk masterpiece that has carved the band their own niche in what is otherwise a still developing genre of music. While it lacks the primal rock-and-roll feel of Death From Above's music, it presents itself with a much more cutting edge and chilled out style that hooks you from the beginning. The opening track, NYC moves to the sound of LA, while somewhat different from the rest of the album, is undoubtedly the most fitting opening track, in that it captures the style and message of the band in the first thirty seconds.

The album gets better each time you listen to it, and over time you develop a very thorough knowledge of the songs due to the sonic richness and stunning clarity. This album is the dark chocolate of modern alternative rock. Carwars, Just Because and Youth in Poverty are a couple of the best songs of 2010.

If my description doesn't do it for you, at the very least have a listen to the album, which you can get here, and make sure to buy it from them when it's finally released sometime soon. You could even be like me and go to any of their shoes supporting Two Door Cinema Club at this time. They are cheap and will be nothing short of amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment