Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Grails - Black Tar Prophecies Vol. IV (V0)


Grails are a band I didn't know about until recently, and I was already kicking myself pretty hard for not hearing this earlier when I gave their Black Tar Prophecies Vol. I, II & III its first listen. I had never heard such an experimental foray into post-rock quite like this. At times atmospheric and ambient, and at other times presenting itself with an energy that feels electric and eclectic, it gave me chills and made the hairs on the back on my neck stand at attention.

The first track, I Want A New Drug, leaves you really bewildered and inquisitive, and then it breaks into the epic building maze of a song that is Self-Hypnosis. I think they purposefully made the album vary drastically from one song to another, so as to keep the listener guessing, which is something that not enough bands (especially those of the post-rock variety) do these days. There's even a hint of blues rock in the aforementioned Self-Hypnosis. Pianos grace the beautiful atmosphere of Up All Night, almost creating a lonely feeling, offset by the dissonance found in blues and experimental music. It's almost like a self-conflicting album, in that the darkness and melancholic feel of the songs contrasts with the funky and psychedelic tone of certain songs. It's all I've been listening to since I got it, and I can't recommend it enough. You will feel like a satellite orbiting the earth, and you will feel your soul tingle.

Get it here and buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment